Storytelling

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sat Dec 28 22:06:00 PST 2002

hi avner,

i'm not a big fan of storytelling the night before... at
least not in a formal way.  i like what we typically do at
osonos on the night before the opening and everyone just
gathers at the bar.  storytelling happens, of course.  the
one time that i remember a formal storytelling session being
run the night before, the opening itself felt flat... like
we'd already told our best stories the night before.  i was
a participant at that one, but as a facilitator, i prefer to
lead with my strongest card, the opening itself.  i prefer
to stay invisible until then.

when i think of sitting around the fire telling stories, i
don't think of 180 people.  maybe you need more fires,
smaller groups and just keep lighting them as the groups get
larger.   or light a circle of small fires?   small circles
around a giant fire?  many small fires and then bring some
coals from all of them to light a central bonfire that would
mark the end of a shorter formal storytelling session and
leave people the option of hanging out as one big group or
migrating back to so many cozy smaller firecircles.  anyway
you do it i can't imagine there is much need to say anything
at all to have the storytelling happen, once the fire(s) are
going.

my two cents.

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610 USA
312-280-7838 voice
312-280-7837 fax

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.globalchicago.net

...inviting and connecting movements that make a difference.