Storytelling

Viv McWaters viv at thereef.com.au
Sat Dec 28 22:24:23 PST 2002

Hi Avner

Greetings from a very HOT Torquay - where even the kangaroos have gone
into hiding!

A friend of mine who uses storytelling a lot suggested this approach for
a large group - say 18 circles of ten people and get them to tell
stories to each other, quite informal and all that. Then invite each
group to select one story they have heard to retell to the whole group.
This way everyone gets a chance at storytelling in smaller groups and
some of the most memorable stories can be shared amongst the whole
group. This is also a good way to collect stories for an organisation's
annual report - using a participatory approach. Brian's (Bainbridge,
that is) approach of the Glad, the Sad, the Mad and the Bad seems to
work well as a theme for organisational storytelling too. Good luck.

Viv

On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 07:54  AM, Avner Haramati wrote:

> Dear List
>
> I wish you all a happy new year.
> We are having (with Tova) a 2 days OS with 180 participants of an
> Israeli- global firm on the issue of "What kind of (the name of the
> firm) do we want to be, what do we want to preserve and what do we want
> to change". It is a 40 years old firm, owned by several KIBUTZs
> ( ccoperative villages), that had innovative and glorious days in their
> past. Global  competition causes the firm to struggle for survival,
> forced them to befome entirely buisness oriented and  brought up many
> unsolved issues. We are planning to have an evening of srorytelling
> (around the fire, in the desert) in the evening before the OS.
> From your experiences, what is an apropriate way to do it?
>
> Avner Haramati
> ISRAEL

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665 Torquay 3228
Australia
(03) 5261 9498
0417 135 406

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no one yet has seen, but to
think what nobody yet has thought about that which everybody sees. "
Schopenhauer