Storytelling

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 21:34:29 PST 2002

Avner--

The question of what is an appropriate way for storytelling does not really
have a right answer--I think it has more to do with what feels natural and
comfortable for the particular group.  Having the storytelling in the
evening, around a fire, creates a good environment.

At one retreat I attended as a participant, we were invited to a storytelling
evening.  I don't think we had a fire, but the room was dimly lighted, and
the time was late evening.  One man brought his guitar, and played both
familiar songs and his own compositions, quietly and without fanfare.
Between songs, he left long periods of silence, and invited people to tell
stories.  After a few were told, the others built naturally on themes from
the earlier stories, and there was an interesting progression into deeper
themes as the evening grew later.

I liked the feel of this--there was no compulsion to speak, or any
restriction of themes, just the natural emergence of stories, a group
conversation.

Joelle Everett