Reviving a Facilitator's Passion

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Dec 19 11:58:04 PST 2002

hi marty,  harrison has said much about the 'practice of
peace' this year.  i
think mostly we focus on the peace... but i think the more
important part of
what harrison is saying is 'practice.'  we all want peace,
but it's not
something we can grab and get.  practice, on the other hand
is somethign we
can do... and do and do and do... and it can move us in the
direction of
peace.  practice seems to demand a willingness to
*apparently* get it wrong...
and opens the door to letting ourselves, and then others,
off the hook when
'whatever' happens.   i think that opening door is the open
space we're
looking for, the space we can and do invite others to into.
what's more,
i think it IS compassion, the inside of peace.  in a
world/experience turned
upside down, seems only right that getting it "wrong" can
also be getting it
right.  the bell rings again tomorrow.  m

Martin Giannini wrote:

> Dear 'Spacers':
>
> I facilitated two weeks ago for an Irish (community - government
> Partnership) organisation trying to discover from community members what
> their adult education needs are.  The attendance was good but no one wanted
> to post for the afternoon.  After lunch, half of the folks left and the
> rest just wanted to re-hash what had happened in the groups during the
> morning.  So they did.  I felt that what ensued was a lot of
> bickering.  And I could not help to feel that as facilitator, I was being
> expected to "produce" a lot more, to get people " on task"... you know...
> that whole dilemma.  Nonetheless, the closing circle was filled with praise
> for the process.  And yet I was disappointed and disenchanted.
>
> So i ask....   How do I get over this and on to the next one with more of
> my own passion intact?  And how do I respond to the sponsor who has indeed
> come back with reservations about the whole thing since she really could
> not produce much of a "result" out of her findings?
>
> Argh!  Thanks for listening!  Happy Joyous Holidays!!!
>
> Marty Giannini in Ravensdale, Co. Louth, Ireland

> Visit:

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610 USA
312-280-7838 voice
312-280-7837 fax

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.globalchicago.net

...inviting and connecting movements that make a difference.