Reviving a Facilitator's Passion

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Dec 19 10:08:08 PST 2002

Marty--

Sometimes, the topic needs to be a bit larger than the sponsor's initial
suggestion, something that includes the desired outcomes but makes the topic
more expansive and more exciting.

It helps to have a conversation with the sponsor ahead of time to clarify
what will happen with the information produced by the Open Space.

It helps if I can learn from what I did without being blameful of myself--and
I have to admit that does not always work!

It sounds as if the participants felt the meeting was successful, and the
client has a lot of information, even if she doesn't quite know what to do
with it.  You might offer to spend an hour with her sorting the information
and looking at next steps.

David Whyte speaks very eloquently about self-compassion, the ability to be
kind to ourselves when we are less than satisfied about what we have been
able to do (or not to do!)  And I suspect that kindness helps keep our
passion intact on hard days.

Joelle Everett