Open Space and restructuring

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue Dec 3 15:08:59 PST 2002

Joelle,

Refer them to the story in Tales from Open Space by Hugh Huntington on how
Honeywell downsized using OST.  Harrison now has it online at

http://www.openspaceworld.com/tales.htm

It starts on page 83.  Here's the opening paragraph:
A large avionics defense plant was in two major transitions. The first was a
down-sizing from 2400 to 1600 people, reflecting the cutback in Department
of Defense (DOD) expenditures. The second was a total reorganization from a
traditional, autocratic management system that reflected both internal
corporate philosophy and DOD expectations to a team-based structure. This
meant the removal of four of the seven levels of management and supervision
within the plant. The switch to the new organizational structure was to
begin in 3 weeks, to be completed within 8 weeks. Management had made a
commitment to their corporate office to move ahead.

Greetings from sunny Seattle,
Peggy