Open Space and restructuring

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 14:47:54 PST 2002

Had a call today from a public agency which will need to do some
restructuring (two service regions are being combined, with the expected
result of personnel reductions).

Their original plan was to make the restructuring decisions first, then
convene an Open Space conference to work out the operational details--not
wanting to ask people to eliminate their own jobs.

My proposal to them is that they consider holding the OS before the decisions
are made, to bring maximum information, participation and creativity to the
proposed changes.

What is your experience in this situation?  I'd love to hear pros and cons,
insights and pitfalls, from your experience with clients.  As usual, the time
is yesterday, the potential for conflict is high--sounds to me like a job for
OS.

I'd love to hear from you!

Joelle