2 days of OS with 7 weeks in between

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Wed Aug 14 13:36:14 PDT 2002

Thomas, some thoughts:

It sounds good to me.  I have led OS events where there was quite  a bit
of space in between the two days.  One was two months, the other a
couple of weeks. In another setting we used virtual conversation to
prepare for an OS.  It makes most sense to keep the conversation going
virtually between face to face meetings as you are planning.

In the opening, I would let folks know that this is the opening of a 7
week long Open Space.  So, topics can be dealt with in the three
sessions today, or the group could decide to explore the topics later.
The same principles and law apply to the Open Space conversations over
the full 7 weeks.  It gives more freedom to generate topics at opening.
I would also give folks the option of  virtual communication or some
face to face (if they travel during the 7 weeks for other reasons, 2-3
could meet face to face and bring another in virtually).  All of the
options are available during the 7 weeks of OST.  (Using OST to be
intentional about the self-organizing discussions).

At the end of day one, it would definitely be evening news and morning
news combined.  "What's working so far and what do you want to explore
over the next seven weeks".  I assume you would  explaining how the
virtual thing works, how the reports would be put together and what will
be done with them on the last day, when you get back together again.

Have fun.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation