OS and Strategic Planning

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Fri Aug 9 07:48:49 PDT 2002

On 8/8/02 9:57 AM, "BrendanMcKeague" <mckeague at iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> comments and hints about how to sell the idea to them?

Compare the outcomes they say they want to the likely outcomes from an open
space event of the appropriate duration.  If there's a match, explain the
process, but "sell" the outcomes.

Good luck!

Ralph Copleman

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:29:47 +0200
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Thomas Herrmann <thomas at openspaceconsulting.com>
Subject: 2 days of OS with 7 weeks in between

Dear OS-friends
I have the first day of an OST conference coming up in a couple of weeks. I
facilitated a pre-meeting a few days ago. In this meeting it became obvious
that the need of the organization was to have a really broad theme focusing
on the future of the organization instead of the more narrow one that we had
been discussing earlier. The 19th of August is already booked as it is part
of a longer conference with some more traditional ingredients. I will
propose a change but I doubt that will be the case.

In the pre-meeting we booked another day of OST 7 weeks later. The 12
employees (who are part of a larger organization) are spread all over Sweden
and that day "was in the plan". Well, I will charge that date as well.

Anyway, I would be happy if you have a similair experience or any ideas to
share?
I am thinking of how to bind these two days together. We did plan a follow
up meeting the week after the first OST. I have suggested a virtual forum,
which I think would be great, but the boss has not answered yet.

We have also discussed to ask the convenors to continue to work on their
issues, supporting each other, and to produce a more thourough report for
next time. I have thought of opening space again next time, have a couple
more sessions and then convergence and actionplanning.

Another idea just came into my mind. Maybe we could have another half day or
two of OST inbetween, to keep the energy moving (especially if we cannot put
up a virtual forum). That could be a chance to continue the work or raise
new subjects. I know they have monthly meetings. I hesitate to do
convergence after the first 6 hour day (incl lunch) since I think they need
more time to raise all issues of importance.

As you can see I learn while writing. Thanks already!
Any more thoughts appreciated!
Best regards
Thomas Herrmann         Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
Open Space Consulting   Fax   +46 (0)300-713 89
Pensévägen 4
434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
Email: thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
www.openspaceconsulting.com