Space requirements for 400?

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sat Aug 3 07:10:58 PDT 2002

hi doug, can't recall the formula just now... but do know that i've reduced
it all to 40%.  that is, if you want a circle of 100 chairs, it'll be 40
feet across.  since you don't need all 400 in a single row, perhaps run 40%
of 200-240 and figure there is room inside of that for another couple of
rows.  we used a basketball gym with the bleachers pushed back in peoria and
made a circle of 200.  think we could have done fine with another 200
inside, but in two rows, with lots of breaks for people to get access to the
center.  i also like to make the outer circle the main circle, and then add
chairs inside, rather than having bits and pieces of back rows tucked into
corners.  if you do the 40% and add some space for walking between the
circle and the walls, then you can do the math on total square feet of a
sq/rectangle room and have some sense of total area as another benchmark
when fitting into less-than-square spaces.  i think all the rest sound just
great.  m

"Douglas D. Germann, Sr." wrote:

> Chris--
>
> Thanks!
>
> (I was trying to find my high school math formulae to see if each chair
> takes up 30 inches, do I multiply by pi R squared or pi D or what to get
> the diameter.... <grin>)
>
> One idea an Inviter suggested to me tonight was the high school where a
> local girl graduated--she was the one from our community who died in the
> twin towers. I think that school would be a wonderful choice! A food
> service on site, lots of breakout spaces, and a gymnasium, and people who
> have a passion for the date.
>
> Do you think a high school basketball court, perhaps with the bleachers
> pushed back, would be large enough?
>
>                               :-Doug.

> Visit:

Michael Herman