Space requirements for 400?

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sat Aug 3 07:26:40 PDT 2002

well, let's see how my math holds up in light of this spreadsheet of yours,
koos...

100 feet by my 40% rule would leave perhaps 85 feet circle with some space
around it, that's an outer circle of 215 chairs (my range was 200-250 i think)
and if you squeezed it to 90 feet, leaving just 10 feet on the one side for
the marketplace wall, then the outer circle could be 225.  and so we are
agreed i think that the rest of the folks would fit inside.  cool.  m

Koos de Heer wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet (MS Excel) that calculates the number of people that a
> room with a certain size (width) will hold in one or more concentric
> circles. It not only calculates the main room, but also up to three
> different break out rooms.
>
> I have recently made this and used it for an OST confrence of 80 people and
> it worked very well. It contains two worksheets, one in metric and one in
> imperial measurements. According to this spreadsheet, a room that is 100
> feet wide will hold a little over 400 people in three concentric circles.
>
> Anyone who wants it can email me for a copy.
>
> If there is a lot of demand, I will put it on my website.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Koos de Heer
> Auryn management advies BV
> Utrecht, the Netherlands