Space requirements for 400?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Aug 2 11:06:41 PDT 2002

Doug and others

I've done OS meetings in gyms and they are usually fine, as long as you
have a good sound system.  Most house PA's in school gyms are really
muddy, so be sure you have a good one, or make sure to rent one.

400 in a gym will probably need concentric circles, which is fine as
long as you leave lots of space to allow people from the back row(s) to
come forward.  If you are using a school, then you have an idea
situation for breakout rooms, and you probably won't have to use the gym
at all for breakouts.

(Why don't we use schools as the ideal OST venues that they are?  Think
about a world where the school day begins with people posting learning
topics in the gym and then the classes happen in breakout groups in the
classrooms...ah...sweet paradise...but I digress).

For the closing, I have done the "talk show host" thing that Joelle says
she saw Harrison do.  I have also left the mic in the centre of the
circle and invited anyone who wanted to come forward and share their
thoughts with the group.  That worked well in an OST meeting with 175
people an hour to close.

Chris Corrigan

PS By the way, the rule of thumb I use is if the room can hold 100
people theatre style, then it can hold 50 in a circle.  Or OST=T/2 if
you prefer formulae...

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation