VOSONVOS

JayWV at aol.com JayWV at aol.com
Tue Apr 30 19:45:37 PDT 2002

I just want to say that my experience on the Design Team for the Virtual Open
Space on Virtual Open Space has been as challenging and learningful (is that
a word?) as I hoped.  There is no direct translation between face to face OS
and virtual OS.  It is like using two very different languages to try and say
the same thing.  Something is captured, and something is transformed in the
process.  We're still figuring out which.

One example: What does it mean to hold space as a facilitator for an event
which never stops (24/7) and lasts as long as a month?  Can the essence of
the facilitator's role be shared among a group of people who wake at
different hours and have never met? What does the presence of a facilitator
mean for an event where the s/he is truly invisible and can't be seen, smelt,
or touched?

If you are intrigued, sign up for VOSONVOS and join in the conversation.

Jay

Once again, here are the details:

Participants Invited for First International Online 3Open Space2 Gathering

Big Mind Media and Full Circle Associates (Seattle), Peoplesworth (Boston),

and Smith Weaver Smith (Indianapolis), serving as a voluntary conference

design team, have issued an invitation to participate in the first worldwide

3Virtual Open Space on Virtual Open Space2 gathering, May 13-June 19, 2002 -

to be conducted online.  Organizational development consultants,

non-government organization staff, community and economic development

leaders, online community builders, education‹health--ecology reformers, and

all others with a passion for community building locally and globally are

urged to participate. Sponsored by the Open Space Institute, this Open Space

is open -- to anyone across the world with Internet access. Registration is

accomplished online at http://www.bigmindmedia.com/vosonvos/register.html

VOSonVOS is a gathering built on the concept of 3Open Space,2 a method for

self-organizing, collaborative action among diverse groups of people who

want to improve the quality of human life. In this case, meetings are not

held in auditoriums or meeting centers, but in a collaborative online space

accessible anywhere in the world at any time. Through an Internet connection

and a web browser, participants will connect to VOSonVOS at times and from

places convenient to them.  Once online, participants view and may choose to

contribute to a record of conversation and activity. The conference theme

is: What are the issues and opportunities of online gatherings in Open

Space?

The registration fee is US $35. Voluntary contributions above the minimum

will support an Access Fund to provide assistance where needed. We

anticipate hundreds of participants.  Early registrations are in from New

Zealand, Portugal, Columbia, Austria, Italy, Israel and the United States.

Big Mind Media will host VOSonVOS using their collaborative workspace

software, BigMind Catalyst. Registrants will receive a web site location and

a password. Email participation is offered to those for whom Internet access

is expensive.

What is it like? Join us and contribute to that answer.  We promise this:

VOSonVOS will engage participants in meaningful conversation about the

issues and opportunities that you passionately care about. The conference is

attracting the most diverse collection of experienced and newly learning

Open Space and online facilitation practitioners that have ever assembled.