Being a leader in troubled times

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Thu Apr 18 23:39:39 PDT 2002

Recent events on the list and in the world around me have encouraged me to go
back to my references and one in particular struck me as being relevant to those
who wish to facilitate Light and Peace in the communities in which we live.

"Group process evolves naturally.  It is self-regulating  Do not interfere. It
will work itself out.  Efforts to control process usually fail.  Either they
block process or make it chaotic.  Learn to trust what is happening.  If there
is silence, let it grow; something will emerge.  If there is a storm let it
rage; it will resolve into calm.  Is the group discontented? You can't make it
happy.  Even if you could, your efforts might well deprive the group from a very
creative struggle."
"The wise leader knows how to facilitate the unfolding group process, because
the leader is also a process. The group's process and the leader's process
unfold in the same way, according to the same principle.  The leader knows how
to have a profound influence without making things happen."

>From "The Tao of Leadership"  by John Hilder, based on the ancient  Chinese sage
Loa Tzu writings.

Regards
Robert