\Holding space

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:43:48 PDT 2002

colleagues,

we talk a lot about what it means to open/hold space. we often say that it
is tiring and that it can be draining. i often find it to be so. i ask if
these are not characteristics that we put on ourselves as a result of our
resistance toward letting go.

if this is correct, why do we need to struggle so? what are we resisting and
why? as we grow and become more mature, should we not arrive at a place
where opening space, just like any other activity, is nothing more than
breathing in, breathing out, ... breathing/nourishing our souls, being
open/aware to what is happening?

i continue to wonder to what extent we give ourselves, as facilitators,
greater importance than what we deserve when it comes to presentation...when
it comes to being in front of the group. less is more, yes? for sure, it
often requires time, commitment, and skill in accompanying leaders as they
consider doing an open space event. determining the theme, creating the
letter of invitation, and organizing the actual space for the meeting are
responsibilities which must be handled with care and devotion. yet once
these important tasks are carried out well, why do i get tired and feel
drained at times when i open space?

as i have shared before, i never walk the circle in the center of the group.
when i have done that in the past, i have felt to much "center stage." in me
not walking the circle, participants have never failed to rise to the
occasion of taking charge when i stop talking. over the years as i have
observed myself and many others facilitating open space, i have found
harrison's message to be true: even if the  facilitator fails miresably in
delivering a polished presentation, the process will still work. the
participants will rise to the occasion.

i ask that you forgive me if i come across as judgemental. i'm seeking to
better understand the essence.

sincerely,

john engle
port au prince, haiti