\Holding space

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Apr 30 09:58:26 PDT 2002

A couple of months ago i opened space in a First Nation for a community
event.  I wrote about this on the list at that time.  The essence of the
story is that no one showed up for a long time, and when someone finally
did, we didn't "do" OST, but we definitely "did" open space.  In other
words, to echo Ralph, I held space for anything to happen, and of course it
did.

But what was really valuable about the experience was setting up the room,
and waiting and having no one there.  It caused me to become very
reflective on the process of holding space, and I discovered that one can
do it even without anyone being present.  Holding space then is not about
the participants, it is about being open to and honouring something
bigger.  It was illuminating to read the Tao Te Ching while I did this, as
that book is about holding space, in as much as it is about anything else.

I recall that it was no less difficult or tiring to hold space for no one
(everyone) than it was for a group of people.  To me this points to the
fact that space holding is about something other than people.  Why was I so
tired?

I recall sensing an evenness whilst I was doing this particular gathering
of no one.  That is, I was conscious of letting go of many attachments,
especially those that were about outcome, and things like my sponsor
showing up, the food being cooked for dozens who weren't there and so on.
I let all of this go, and sat silently and quietly in the longhouse where
we were "meeting" and simply watched as anything happened.

I don't wish the experience of no one showing up on anyone, but if you
should be so lucky as to have that happen, you might notice how valuable an
experience it truly is.  Perhaps in OST trainings we should build in time
for people to open space without anything happening ;-)

Chris

Audrey Coward wrote:

> I have just returned from an an inspiring four days with my colleagues
> in Ottawa. I am intrigued still by what it means to hold space for
> others as an os facilitator ,coach and in my daily living. I have
> learned and unlearned much;however I know there is more to discover. I
> invite any and all of to share what you know or practise beside picking
> up coffee cups.
>
> Audrey Coward
> Toronto, Canada

> Visit: