\Holding space

Judi Richardson Richarjl at akerley.nscc.ns.ca
Tue Apr 30 07:29:57 PDT 2002

On 4/28/02 5:28 PM, "Audrey Coward" <abc at interlog.com> wrote:

> I invite any and all of to share what you know or practise beside
picking
> up coffee cups.

Audrey — My experience has been that holding space is a wonderful
exercise in mindfulness — the cosmic mirror that reflects back my
panic at being seen as not "doing" something!  And a wonderful exercise
in giving up that "expert" role — to simply hold space for the
participants who are the real experts to find their way.

I have watched the discussion of space invaders on the list with
interest.  I often find that space invaders, rather than filling in or
closing the space, tend to s t r e t c h the space a little more.  They
often offer themselves while we are holding space.

And once the coffee and tea cups are picked up, it can sometimes be
tricky to seem to disappear.  Especially if I'm experiencing a
claustrophobic type of day!  Two weeks ago I facilitated an open space
for a group of 40 individuals.  The space was small, and as I was
checking out breakout spaces, someone pulled the circle of chairs in
tighter.  There had been a sudden snowstorm, participants made their way
in through some treacherous driving.  When I came back to the main space
and stepped into the circle I realized how tight it was.  I invited
everyone to stand up, take a step back and push their chairs back twice.
 They hardly moved the chairs at all.  So, I chose to do some very deep
breathing and walked the small circle — owning the claustrophobia I
was feeling.  A blue jay was heckling us outside an open window and I
realized that I was rushing the opening because of the claustrophobia I
was feeling.  I slowed down and smiled as I remembered how the
participants had arrived, why they were there — and, oh yeah, none of
the event is about me, which always helps me move out of the way!  And,
the space still opened — people jumping for the markers and paper.

The building was small, the weather very stormy, no place to
disappear........... a rich event, indeed.

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities;
in the expert's mind, there are few.  (Suzuki Roshi, 1970)

Judith L. Richardson
Pono Consultants International
Facilitating the Flow of Inspired Collaboration
www.ponoconsultants.com
902-435-0308