OST and violent conflict (long)

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 30 09:50:46 PDT 2002

Hello Gilbert and thank you for your post regarding OST and violent
conflict.

I have one observation from my experience that I add for consideration of
those following this thread.  I also have a recommendation.

In my experience of facilitating OST meetings for street youth in North
America, we had a wonderful opportunity of observing the results of frequent
OST meetings for a group of youth, who had in common the desire for
participation in our community center. The youth were representative of over
50 language groups, with youth who had spent much of their childhoods in
countries at war and living in refugee camps. They were taught to hate. They
were taught to fight for their very survival. Most carry weapons. We
attempted to work with these youth on the streets, with no success to deter
the fighting. We sought a common desire and discovered that they wanted to
participate in some way as a feeling of belonging in our center. When we
"ran" the programs, it didn't work. When we used OST meetings for them to
run their own programs in accordance with their desires, we had huge
successes WHILE THEY WERE IN THE CENTER. The weapons had to be "checked at
the door" for entry to the meetings. The meetings and programs were well
attended. The programs flourished and the behavior of the youth when IN our
center was great. However, weapons were returned to them upon their
departure. Back on the streets, the gangs resumed, and violence occured. I
could say the OST meetings were successful regarding violent conflict if I
measured this by what took place IN THE CENTER. Or do I measure success by
what took place following the meeting. The OST meeting was a pause from the
usual patterns. The only shift in ongoing behavior was that injured youth
sought our staff out for help which was a big step in reaching back to us.
The violence did not end. In one instance that I am aware of, the OST
meeting was indeed a catalyst for further violence. In this situation, a
young Muslim woman was beaten by her husband for participating in a
discussion with males in her discussion group, males that he had not given
her permission to speak with. I believe there were more such experiences but
this was the only one I heard about. I agree with your caution regarding the
situations of violent conflict and the use of OST--not during the meeting,
but following the meeting.

And yet, the paradox for me is what I will now say in my recommendation.  I
cannot think of any other means that has the potential to bring about peace,
even in situations of violent conflict, than what a well done OST meeting
offers. I have previously written what I encourage as a well done OST
meeting where the facilitator attends to the pre-work, the "givens", and the
metaphysical aspects of opening and holding the space with love, a higher
energy frequency. An aspect of the art of working with Open Space Technology
is to choose the theme to be of an issue of concern that all will feel
passionate about. I recommend against a theme that challenges a group to
look at resolving their conflict. What is an issue of concern of a very
practical nature??? And if done well, conflict resolution has a chance to be
a by-product, just as community development can be a by-product of a well
done OST meeting.

Blessings to you and all whom you make genuine contact with

Birgitt  Williams

Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness

We invite you to visit us at www.genuinecontact.com and join the list serve
at http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. Daily, these organizations
attend to their health and balance. Participating in the Genuine Contact
program takes you on a learning journey of HOW to achieve the healthy and
balanced organization (the conscious Open Space Organization).”  Birgitt
Williams, Dalar International Consultancy

Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy

Mailing address: Po Box 19373, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 or for
courier 12136 Shooting Club Rd., Raleigh, North Carolina USA 27613

Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599