Columbia OS

Denis Cowan cowandp at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 27 00:03:47 PDT 2002

G'day.

Several years ago I did some facilitation work in Russia.

We worked through an interpreter who had no facilitation
background.  However we spent 2 days with the interpreter prior to the event.

  I have not worked in a similiar situation since. However what I would
have liked to try was 2 interpreters.  One to talk for me and one to listen
for me. Hopefully that way I would have got all of the asides etc.

Regards

denis

At 01:24 27/04/02 -0400, Joelle Lyons Everett wrote:
>In a message dated 4/26/02 10:11:35 AM, peggy at opencirclecompany.com writes:
>
><< One concern we had is whether it is really necessary that they speak
>Spanish, some think that with one of us as a co facilitator this is not
>needed.  What are your thoughts on this?
>
>  >>

>Pablo--
>
>I have given workshops in Mexico, with simultaneous translation and a Mexican
>facilitator to assist.  And it works, but I don't think it is ideal.  For the
>situation you describe, with a heavily conflicted situation, I'd rather be
>able to communicate directly.  In fact, I took an introductory Spanish course
>before my second trip to Mexico, so I could talk with people directly at
>least in an elementary way.
>
>I would think that you would want a facilitor just enough removed from the
>conflict to be seen as objective, and near enough to understand the situation
>at the gut level.
>
>In an interesting bit of synchronicity, my e-mail tonight included a news
>story about cooperation between Mexico and the US to break up drug cartels.
>When authorities from the US and Mexico sat down together to plan this
>initiative, the US representatives were Americans with Mexican parents, and
>everyone around the table spoke Spanish:
><<According to participants on both sides, the Mexicans looked across the
>table at Mr. Chavez, Mr. Vega and Mr. Curiel, all born of Mexican parents,
>and the spark of recognition lit a fire.
>"It couldn't but help," Mr. Curiel said. "We were working without the
>disconnect of interpreters and barriers of culture. When it comes down to it,
>this involves the country of our parents." Mr. Vega, now in private practice,
>said the simple fact that the meetings were conducted in Spanish "broke the
>ice."
>"It was confianza," he said, the Spanish word for trust.>>
>
>My two cents' worth--
>
>Joelle Everett
>Shelton, Washington, USA
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

denis cowan , brisbane , australia.  fax ** 61 7 32681869 tel ** 61 7 38363056
email:  cowandp at bigpond.net.au