Columbia OS

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Apr 26 22:24:56 PDT 2002

In a message dated 4/26/02 10:11:35 AM, peggy at opencirclecompany.com writes:

<< One concern we had is whether it is really necessary that they speak
Spanish, some think that with one of us as a co facilitator this is not
needed.  What are your thoughts on this?

Pablo--

I have given workshops in Mexico, with simultaneous translation and a Mexican
facilitator to assist.  And it works, but I don't think it is ideal.  For the
situation you describe, with a heavily conflicted situation, I'd rather be
able to communicate directly.  In fact, I took an introductory Spanish course
before my second trip to Mexico, so I could talk with people directly at
least in an elementary way.

I would think that you would want a facilitor just enough removed from the
conflict to be seen as objective, and near enough to understand the situation
at the gut level.

In an interesting bit of synchronicity, my e-mail tonight included a news
story about cooperation between Mexico and the US to break up drug cartels.
When authorities from the US and Mexico sat down together to plan this
initiative, the US representatives were Americans with Mexican parents, and
everyone around the table spoke Spanish:
<<According to participants on both sides, the Mexicans looked across the
table at Mr. Chavez, Mr. Vega and Mr. Curiel, all born of Mexican parents,
and the spark of recognition lit a fire.
"It couldn't but help," Mr. Curiel said. "We were working without the
disconnect of interpreters and barriers of culture. When it comes down to it,
this involves the country of our parents." Mr. Vega, now in private practice,
said the simple fact that the meetings were conducted in Spanish "broke the
ice."
"It was confianza," he said, the Spanish word for trust.>>

My two cents' worth--

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington, USA