Columbia OS

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 27 05:10:20 PDT 2002

At 05:03 PM 4/27/2002 +1000, denis wrote:
>  I have not worked in a similiar situation since. However what I would
>have liked to try was 2 interpreters.  One to talk for me and one to listen
>for me. Hopefully that way I would have got all of the asides etc.

On the subject of listening to "asides" -- I have a rather different take.
A substantial number of the Spaces I open occur in situations where the
language spoken is not my own. In the past 4 months, this has included
Serbian, Hebrew, Arabic, Swedish and Beloxi (a strange tongue they speak in
Mississippi). I find that missing out on the words forces me to a deeper
level of communication -- that 95% done without words. My relationship to
the group is mediated by such things as movement (dance) smell, gut
feelings (intuition), taste, color to name a few. By missing out on all the
good gossip, I find that I am much more attuned to the flavor of the whole
group -- which I think is where my attention should be in order to be fully
present to the whole body of folks. So what might seem like a disadvantage
is, in my experience, a real plus. I have never felt that I missed anything
essential, and it also seems to carry over into English speaking
environments -- where it is all too easy to get trapped by the discussion
and then move into the "expert, fix-it" role.

Harrison

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA
phone 301-365-2093