ITS OVER WHEN THE BOSS SPEAKS...

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 15 04:34:27 PDT 2002

At 07:08 PM 4/15/2002 +0800, you wrote:

>Anyway - there was a great feeling around the hall and I suppose that the
>Spirit was flowing regardless - however, next time, I'll ask the organisers
>to suggest to their President that he/she saves all the thanks until the
>Space is closed.

A little pro-activity will certainly help, but i would suggest that having
the "thankyous" in the circle is very appropriate, even the official ones.
My approach has always been to talk to the "official" sponsor (boss,
whatever) about the ending -- saying that "of course he/she will want to
say something to all the folks who made the event possible -- after which I
would like to close the space with a few words." That usually does it --
but in a situation such as you describe, my inclination would be to smile
broadly and say something like -- "... and the corollary is When it is not
over it is not over."

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive