ITS OVER WHEN THE BOSS SPEAKS...

BrendanMcKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Apr 15 04:08:37 PDT 2002

Last week-end I opened a two-day space with a great group of 95 volunteer
workers with the a local not-for-profit, Church-based welfare organisation
- they were looking at their vision for the future - the event was great,
beyond the expectations of the sponsors and a wonderful  gathering in a
rich community Spirit.

As I listened to the positive and affirming comments in the Closing Circle,
preparing for my final wind-up with the four directions, I was 'ambushed'
by the Society's State President who had intentionally placed himself to be
last holder of the Mic going around the circle - he got up and made what
was a great speech of thanks to everyone on a long list of helpers - from
organisers to tea ladies - inviting them all into the circle as he and the
gathering thanked each for their contributions - then, of course, I was
invited to go in and be thanked by all 'present - which I did....he closed
off his speech with the words: "You said 'when its over, its over', well in
this bit, - its over when i say its over"  - all in a fun way and greeted
with howls of laughter - there wasn't much more for me to do except to
forget my intention of closing off the process eloquently and leaving it
'over'  -  whatever happens..????

Anyway - there was a great feeling around the hall and I suppose that the
Spirit was flowing regardless - however, next time, I'll ask the organisers
to suggest to their President that he/she saves all the thanks until the
Space is closed.

Brendan