A Practice of Peace (Tova Averbuch)

Judi Richardson richarjl at akerley.nscc.ns.ca
Sat Apr 13 10:47:39 PDT 2002

Such a rich thread of discussion....
Harrison wrote:
Tova -- You make great sense. And thank you for sharing. And for the
rest
of us -- How is our Practice of Peace progressing? And what to we have
share?
******************
Interesting question, Harrison, as well as your observation on
conversations wearing thin and action beginning.  In my experience,
recognizing fully that I've been privileged by living most of my life in
a war free zone in various parts of North America, it is often the
subtle wars that cause great harm.  I watch what is happening in the
Middle East with an ache in my heart.

You mentioned practicing peace by opening space. My practice of peace
begins with my own heart.  If I speak to another being (including my
dog) without peace in my heart there is potential for damage. If I walk
on mother earth with anger, resentment, hate, I am planting that within
her.

I am privileged to share conversations of peace with children at schools
through the League of Peaceful Schools, and provide training in peer
mediation.  Do you know that the average 4th grade North American
student has a clear definition of war, and not of peace?  For many years
I've also been privileged to do similar work with Human Rights
committees, teachers, school boards, and now with communities and
organizations in organizational transformation work and the gift of Open
Space Technology.  And it is essential for me to work with my internal
peace before and during meeting with any group, indeed any conversation.
 I will be a life-long student of my own internal peace -- resting in
unrest.

I have watched as peace activism can turn to aggression.  And aggression
breeds aggression -- not peace.

I strive to remember to ask myself -- every morning and over and over
during the day -- how is your peace meter, Judi, is your heart open now?
 That internal dialogue is always transformational.  I offer the
following story into this circle.  And invite anyone reading this to
join a large group who are meditating today -- Saturday, April 13th,
many in Atlantic Canada -- we are joining together beginning at 3:00 CT
(US) and we send waves of peaceful, positive energy to Tova and
throughout the Middle East.  the story:

from "Synchronicity -- The Inner Path to Leadership"
by Joseph Jaworski

Two birds are sitting on a tree in winter.

"Tell me about the weight of a snowflake, " a coal-mouse
asked a wild dove.

"Nothing more than nothing, " was the answer.

"In that case, I must tell you a marvelous story, "the coal-mouse
said.

"I sat on the branch of a fir, close to its trunk, when it began to
snow -- not heavily, not in a raging blizzard -- no, just like in a
dream, without a wound and without any violence. Since I did not
have anything better to do, I counted the snowflakes settling
on the twigs and needles of my branch. Their number was
exactly 3,741,952. When the 3,741,953rd dropped onto the
branch, nothing more than nothing, as you say -- the branch
broke off."

Having said that, the coal-mouse flew away.

The dove, since Noah's time an authority on the matter,thought about the
story for a while, and finally said to herself, "Perhaps there is only
one person's voice lacking for peace to come to the world."

much love and peace from me and Lucas (the dog!)

Judi Richardson
Pono Consultants International
Facilitating the Flow of Inspired Collaboration
judith at ponoconsultants.com
www.ponoconsultants.com