A Practice of Peace (Tova Averbuch)

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 13 11:57:15 PDT 2002

To Harrison, Judi, Joelle and others...........
In the space in which I move and the clients/ groups with whom I work, the word "peace" isn't used much. Nevertheless, I think that is what I - and so many others on this list - do. By opening space for conflict to be aired and held, for dialogue to open up, for unheard voices to be heard and new, transforming conversations to happen, we create space for the flow of spirit. In my case, of late this means helping cancer researchers to move beyond their original institutions and form a co-operative network and share research resources; for a bank to foster the development of "communities of practice" and knowledge sharing; for  mid-level managers to come into their own power (empowerment). Not to say the ongoing work of parenting two teenagers!!

And yes, it begins in my own being, with as much acknowledgement of and non-resistance to all that I see in myself as I can manage [the good, the bad and the ugly!] and than naturally extending that out to others - close.. further.. further still. Being able to provide a container for peacefullness in myself helps me to provide such a container for others too. Some of these "others" are clients; but it is also children, family, friends.... ultimately and hopefully everyone we come in contact with. For me peace is not just the feeling of peacefulness, kindness, friendliness. It is the place which is able to contain that AND it's "opposite" - anger, fear, jealousy.. and hold them until a resolution naturally appears.
.................Easy to say, life-long task to do!!
Best to all - will be with you in spirit for 3 pm meditation!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca