A Practice of Peace (Tova Averbuch)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 22:11:22 PDT 2002

The following arrived in my e-mail, directly following two Listserve messages
on The Practice of Peace.  Seemed like synchronicity to me.

Joelle

The following poem, “The Gift”, was written by 37 third graders as a
response to the 9/11 attacks in New York City. The school actually faced
the World Trade Center, and the children wrote this looking at the empty
space where it once stood. I believe it is an amazing example of how the
children are leading us into a whole new way of viewing ourselves and
others.

“The Gift”
I am a gift
My respect is green and blue
Like fresh water flowing through my tears
And it is filled with kindness and love
My heart is like iron
That will never break apart
And burns brighter than the sun
Love is like a diamond shining
Kindness is like a bird flying
These help bring peace
To make the world a better place
My friendship is like a blanket
That feels warm, cozy and safe
Friendship is a puzzle whose pieces will not scatter
I am a gift that forgives you
My heart comes blind.

Here is another message from a young ten year old boy named Doug. I hope
it moves you as much as it did me.

“I hope the people will open their hearts now.
That is what is so needed.
If we could just look at each other,
Very deep,
Then we would know we are the same.
We could fall in love with everyone.
I fall in love with myself
When I give love to others.
I love everyone so much
Because that is how I find myself.
It isn’t hard at all.
We make it seem hard because we are afraid.
But we don’t need to be afraid anymore.
Love is here right now.”