Turtle (way of warrior)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Sep 28 13:41:44 PDT 2001

Artur writes:

I read this initial message about the turtle and though it was very well
observed, and I prepared myself to see the answers. Who would speak
for the ones that have no voice in the "council circle"; the ones who's
land one wants to occupy or to bomb (the ones that were once the
native Americans, later from Vietnam, later from Serbia, and today are
from Afghanistan, it seems (*)? Who would speak for the wolf?

And also who would understand that when one is stuck in the warrior
position one needs to go back to the teacher position, and investigate the
world from a new point of view until one can go on again. If not, one will
be a soldier, not a warrior - much less one that cares for the four ways,
(and the center of the circle - the turtle position...)

Then I become quite sad and disturbed when I have discovered that
the wolf's voice was understood not as the voice of the *other*, the
dispossessed of voice, but as "the wolf within us", a much lesser
dignifying wolf, indeed.

Thanks for this, Artur.  While I mentioned specifically what you called "the wolf within us", I want very much to also hear the voices of the ones who's
land one wants to occupy or to bomb (the ones that were once the
native Americans, later from Vietnam, later from Serbia, and today are
from Afghanistan, it seems (*)?

I didn't know how to ask for these voices and assumed they were not on our list so didn't ask explicitly.

So, if these other voices are among us, or available in some way, would they speak?

Peggy

P.S.  It does feel like time to move this incredibly vital conversation from this list to caucus.  So, thank you all and see you on  http://conference.tmn.com/~tmn/caucus.html