The Way of the Warrior

David Koehler Nsdmk at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 19:20:54 PDT 2001

Joe:

I am not sure I fit into the pacifist category or not.  Each situation
demands its own strategy.  To reiterate a theme I wrote about before, there
is a "time for peace and a time for war" as it is written in Ecclesiastes.
What I am concerned about is that we know which time is which.  War seems to
me to be the ultimate politics.  In our current situation, we need to weigh
the need to politically (and morally) bring the terrorists to justice (but
not through vengeance) for the American people first, but also for the our
world allies.

Another front, however, is not only our allies, but our adversaries (not to
include the terrorists).  If we are to retain a leadership role in the world,
it would be nice to have it be because we do the right things in a just way.
Not just because we have military capability or economic ability.  So whether
or not a  Healer, Visionary, Teacher or Warrior is preferred seems to me to
depend on what's needed.  Viet Nam was a mistake because it was wrong.  What
we were told were our interests were not in fact our true interests.  (I have
also been told that the recent US interest in Columbia is not to rid the
world of drugs, but because there are large oil reserves are being
discovered.)

Thanks,
David Koehler