The Way of the Warrior

FamilyFirm at aol.com FamilyFirm at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 16:48:20 PDT 2001

"Reliance on intelligence alone results in rebelliousness. Exercise of
humaness alone results in weakness. Fixation on trust alone results in folly.
Dependence on the strength of courage results in violence. Excessive
sternness of command results in cruelty. When one has all five virtues
together, each appropraiate to its function, then one can be a general
(warrior)."  from "The Art of War", (Sun Tzu, 6th century BC)

I was taken aback to read a couple of quotes I have heard lately from well
known historical pacifists .  One was from Gandi when asked to speak to the
plight of the Jews that were being persecuted in Germany.  He suggested that
they practice non-violent protest.

The other was George Bernard Shaw who was asked what should be done if the
Nazis were about to invade England. He suggested that they "Be welcomed as
tourists."

I put a lot of energy into opposing the war in Viet Namn.  But this feels
very different. I fear that if pacifists had their way at this point they
would end up with a lot of blood on their hands.

Joe