Opening Space for Our World

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Sep 21 15:27:02 PDT 2001

Dear Harrison,
right, its people that deliver in open space.
The facilitator part in me is humbled every time this message
strikes.
At the same time it is good for me to be part of an ost-event and to
know that I support the space in which spirit unfolds.
Right now we  - Felicia Schulz, Ruth Karzel and a bunch of helpers -
are in the midst of an event in which people work on the future of
their church.
Today, we experienced how a fellow transformed from a worried and
reluctant participant to an inspired co-worker, from Saulus to
Paulus, as he put it, seeing opportunity and chance where he had only
seen shadows and dispair. Seventynine years old.
I happily join you especially in these hard times to encourage myself
and others to keep opening what I know to be a grand vessel for
healing and development.
Love
michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Harrison Owen
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:31:27 -0400

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I am presuming that since you are in my database, you know something
about me and Open Space. If I am in error, please forgive. However,
if you have been wondering what we can do post 9/11, here is a
suggestion. Open some space to let the healing begin.

 If ever there was the necessity for Opening Space, NOW is precisely
the moment. Under a cloud of fear, people and societies inevitably
close down, and actions take place at the most basic reactive level.
I suspect this is totally automatic, natural, and probably necessary
as a coping mechanism for dealing with the unthinkable. So there is
no wrong here, but as a long term strategy, it really will not work
-- for all the reasons we know all too well. This is evolution in
reverse, back down into the caves of our psyche. Remaining in those
caves will make the horror of 9/11 seem like child's play. And there
is an alternative,  we know it, and we can help. Not by ourselves, of
course -- but wherever space is opened, in whatever way that happens
(Open Space Technology is not the only path for sure), Spirit shows
up, and healing can begin.  We don't need a plan, a program, a
consensus -- just do it. Whenever, wherever, and however that is
possible. Just do it.

The opportunities are infinite. Right at the moment, creating the
space for folks to gather as we all consider where we are and where
we are going is critical. And down the road, just a little bit, we
must consider the hard practicalities of dealing with a battered
economy  necessitating greatly enhanced efficiency and effectiveness
on the part of our organizations and social systems. When time is
short, stakes are high, and resources constrained -- we know from 16
years global experience in thousands of instances -- Open Space
delivers. Or more exactly, people deliver in Open Space. It works.

This is not a commercial, for Open Space is, and has always been
free. If you know what I am talking about, and consider yourself a
practitioner, please, I beg you, get on with the business wherever
that may be possible. If you want to know more, the necessary
resources are instantly at hand. Click on www.openspaceworld.com This
website supports our training programs, but you don't need training
to open space. Anyone with a good head and a good heart can do it.
This means you. For a quick introduction (all you need to get
started) click on  http://openspaceworld.com/users_guide.htm . And
when you need more, there are lots of books and supportive
colleagues.

And of course, if can help in any possible way, please let me hear
from you. Good luck

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA
phone 301-469-9269
fax 301-983-9314
Personal website www.mindspring.com/~owenhh

view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK