Opening Space for Our World

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 21 14:17:42 PDT 2001

At 10:31 AM 9/21/01 -0400, I wrote the following, and I thought to share
some of the response that have come in--

>Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>  If ever there was the necessity for Opening Space, NOW is precisely the
> moment. Under a cloud of fear, people and societies inevitably close
> down, and actions take place at the most basic reactive level. I suspect
> this is totally automatic, natural, and probably necessary as a coping
> mechanism for dealing with the unthinkable. So there is no wrong here,
> but as a long term strategy, it really will not work -- for all the
> reasons we know all too well. This is evolution in reverse, back down
> into the caves of our psyche. Remaining in those caves will make the
> horror of 9/11 seem like child's play. And there is an alternative,  we
> know it, and we can help. Not by ourselves, of course -- but wherever
> space is opened, in whatever way that happens (Open Space Technology is
> not the only path for sure), Spirit shows up, and healing can begin.  We
> don't need a plan, a program, a consensus -- just do it. Whenever,
> wherever, and however that is possible. Just do it.

 From John Adams

Thanks Harrison!
Last week I was in Dresden in an Open Space conference with Katrina Petri
and others you know. We stood in a circle, people from 36 countries, arm in
arm swaying and singing. I thought of you.

John

 From Alayne and Peter Rabow

Hi Harrison
We miss you!
Peter and I have brought a group of people together, have sent out mailings
and are convening an openspace town meeting Tuesday night in charlotte,
Vermont.
Appreciate you letter and count on us if there is anything we be be helpful
with.Alayne and Peter Rabow

 From Katrina Petri

Dear friends,
we keep up the dialogue among people no matter which religion, class,
organization.
We cannot do the training with Harrison in November but we will hold Open
Space workshops at a network organization in Duesseldorf, at large
nonprofit organization in Munich and the second one for BMW in the next 3
weeks.
we are committed to do our very best to understand the deeper conditions
which make terror possible and nurture an environment which ist strong
enough to foster ongoing dialogue instead of war.
Best wishes to all of us,
Katrina

 From Debra

Hello Owen, and greetings from Boulder, Colorado.
My colleague passed your email on to me, thank you.I appreciate you
reminding us of the value and far-reaching possibilities for healing. We
have used Open Space with some national groups we have worked with and with
our cadre of trainers and have been delighted with the results. I agree
with you, the potential for using Open Space Technology in helpful,
positive ways is enormous right now.
Thank you for your contribution to opening hearts and minds.
Take care.
Debra Sandau-Christopher
--
Debra Sandau-Christopher