Terror

Diane Gibeault dgp at cyberus.ca
Wed Sep 12 08:26:08 PDT 2001

What struck me yesterday was not only the surreal experience of this
tragedy but also how the younger generation was reacting to it. The
shock was beyond the event; it brought home in a deep way never felt
before, the fundamental fears and questions about life and how our
society is recklessly ignoring essential elements for our survival:
respect and co-operation.

One of my daughters was in a conversation with a friend who was in the
World Trade Center when the first plane hit it; another friend who
observed the crumbling of the buildings from his apartment; another who
witnessed from his office, the crashing plane in the Pentagon. The world
is large but it's always at our door. Our heart is with all those
directly touched by this horror. We are all touched in other ways.

Like Rob Strobber, I was involved in a team building process yesterday.
The parallels were evident  and the understanding was reached quickly on
the importance of respect and co-operation.

Jeff, your story that inadvertently fitted with the tragedy brought
light and hope at the gloomiest moments. Thank you. And thanks to people
like Judi who are in the middle of "rescue" operations in Halilfax. You
represent well the gestures all Canadians want to make at this time.

That daily moment of reflection that was suggested will certainly
contribute to create space and energy for healing, learning and being.
It can only contribute to bringing some harmony for the future.

Diane Gibeault