terror

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Tue Sep 11 10:08:48 PDT 2001

This is from Arnold Mindell, in his book Sitting In the Fire (Lao Tse
Press, Oregon, 1995). I offer it wishing to honor the anguish that comes
thru in your writing so powerfully. -- Jeff

"(T)errorists are just people. They are neither insane nor
psychotic....(W)omen and men tell stories about their families who have
been so injured that honor demands retaliation...

"People who have become addicted to violence as a means of correcting
injustices are more flexible than the media would allow us to believe. They
can change rapidly. Everyone can potentially change - even those who block
awareness of their mainstream power. Wherever there are people, change is
possible.

"A Belfast man told the seminar participants how he had become a terrorist.
When he was a boy, he saw two British secret service agents shoot his
father in the head. He went with his father in the ambulance to the
hospital. His father leaned towards him and whispered, 'forgive the
killers.'

"But he couldn't. All he wanted was to retaliate for his father's murder.
He swore to devote his life to seeking revenge. He joined a terrorist group.

"A priest in our group was amazed and shocked to hear such vengefulness.
After discussing the situation, the priest opened up to the other man's
desire for revenge. As the priest changed, suspending his own judgements,
he became compassionate toward the terrorist. Then the terrorist changed,
too. He admitted he did not want to kill anymore. He would be happier
teaching kids how to resolve problems in other ways. We all sat there
astonished. The fluidity and generosity of the priest had enabled the
transition...

"Your group, indeed our whole world, stands or falls depending upon how you
and the rest of us deal with terrorism in ourselves and others. As you
facilitate, you have an opportunity to model coping with violent tension.
You are perceived as an authority and you are vulnerable to attack. Can you
embrace the terrorist? It's not easy, but if you remember your own freedom
fights, it's also not hard."