A reflection on our reflections

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Sep 15 19:58:29 PDT 2001

Thank you for the many, many profound insights.

Even as I'm about to work with the news media, I have been railing to myself
about the shallow coverage on the news.  It finally dawned on me.  Lists
like this have become the place for reliable news and public discourse.  I
may get the broad facts from mainstream media, but the meaning making is
happening here, with a diversity of perspectives; including such amazing
cross-connections as a message from a military veterans list posted on the
OS list!

I also suspect that as self disclosure happens, the asynchronous nature of
this way of communicating helps us to go deeper.  When I read something that
makes me defensive, I can go away and breathe deeply.  When I return, a
loving and honest response appears.  And we all keep talking.

This gives me hope because we are no longer reliant on a monolithic source
of information that distorts as much or more than it informations. Rather,
we have access to many perspectives through our connections.  We are weaving
a deeper truth, a sense of oneness that gets its strength through honoring
complexity and diversity rather than "sound-biting" it out of existence in
the name of unity.  I won't be surprised if eventually some convergence
naturally emerges leading us (and I mean us is the largest sense) into
strong, collective action.

Thank you all.

Peggy

P.S.  Thanks for your thoughts on the journalism conference.  Please keep
them coming and I'll let you know how it goes...

**** Please note new address:  peggy at opencirclecompany.com ***

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place