what folks can do

Julie Hotard julie at pinefish.com
Sat Sep 15 06:38:18 PDT 2001

Re:  things people can do

There's an organization called Personal Counselors
headquartered in Seattle that is going around listening
to people, as people talk or discharge their emotions
about the tragedy in New York.  They are the
Re-evaluation Co-counseling organization.  They
are international.  I don't know what they are doing
in other geographic areas.  Don't know if they have
a web site.  There's also a Center for Nonviolent
Communication web site at :

http://www.cnvc.org/main.htm

I think listening is very important, listening to all
kinds of people.  E.g. if we can listen to people
who are so angry that, even for one moment, they
might feel like driving an airplane full of people into
a 100-story building--  Well, we should definitely
listen to them and hear them so well that they will
in time calm down and not be able to imagine wanting
to do this for 2 moments-- and so that they will definitely never spend
decades feeling not seen or heard, at the end of which they will actually
carry out such actions.  Some of these people who feel this angry right now
are in the U.S.-- feeling ready to
have our governent strike out carelessly against
any place that can be imagined (perhaps erroneously) to be remotely
connected with the people who caused the tragedy in New York, feeling ready
to start World War III over it.

Julie