Action and Vision

Kay Lindahl Kaylind at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 16:01:37 PDT 2001

Dear Friends,
Even though I don't know you personally, lurking on this listserve for a
couple of years makes me feel as though we are old friends.  My primary work
is not in OS, and yet I know that is at the root of what I do.

Your e-mails have comforted me in ways that I can't begin to describe.  I
think I was in shock for the first couple of days - and inertia was my
response.  You have inspired and encouraged me.  Thank you.

On Wednesday evening one of my organizations is co-sponsoring a community
wide prayer gathering.  I plan to read quotes from some of your e-mails.
Please respond to me personally if you object.  I will do it by location, not
name.

I share the following with you as one simple response to all of this.

<< Dear Friends,
 After the numbness came the realization that no words are appropriate to
describe how I feel.  Then I saw that words can be used to make a difference.
 I sent the following letter to President Bush, in a simple effort to express
my concerns and offer my hope for a new vision at this time when emotions are
screaming revenge.

 Out of the hundreds of e-mails I have read this week, from all around the
world, besides the love and compassion expressed, the one common thread has
been what can we do?  One suggested that we pray for and contact leaders.
Another responded - we are all leaders.  It is up to each of us to open up
this conversation of possibilty for everyone we talk to.  Sending you this is
my way of responding to that call.
 Love and blessings,
 Kay

 Dear President Bush,
 Out of the most horrendous event to occur in this country can come new
vision.  I am deeply concerned about labeling this attack by terrorists a
war.  Who is the enemy? It is not a country.  What if the hijackers were
American?  Wars don't work.  They never have.  Even the war on poverty or the
war on drugs.  That is OLD terminology.  We must find new ways to respond.
 As Einstein said:  You can't solve a problem at the same level of
consciousness that created it.
 It's time to raise the bar.  We now have the opportunity to show true
visionary leadership.
 Revenge and retaliation are OLD.  Responding to violence with more violence
just perpetuates the cycle.  If we kill innocent people we are no better than
the attackers.  We stoop to their level.
 Let's find new ways to resolve problems.  Yes, do whatever it takes to find
the mastermind behind this.  Have patience.  Be as smart and cunning as they
are.
 It's time to grow up and respond in a mature fashion, not as immature
children.
 God bless you,
 Kay Lindahl >>