September 11 Disaster - and listening to moments of silence

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 14 15:42:20 PDT 2001

This is beautiful - so many wisdom voices. The challenge may be to hear the
need for justice and order, dressed in fear, anger and retaliation. To bring
the word AND, not OR, into our conversations.

> When justice speaks alone, it is the voice of retaliation I hear.
> When mercy speaks alone, it is the voice of surrender I hear.
> When truth speaks alone, it is fanatism I hear.
> When peace speaks alone, it is the voice of conformism I hear.
> Would it be possible to bring the perpetrators to international courts of
justice, speak the truth of the pillage that our western democracies are
still comitting, be mercyfull by condoning the debts of the undeveloped
countries and build peace by expending in real peace operations as much
money and training as we spend in our military?

> Here in Canada, 100,000 people have attended a memorial service at Ottawa,
with 3 minutes of silence. Our governor general talked of listening to the
humanity of all people. In Toronto, the prayer we heard from our provincial
legislature was "Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace." The subway sytem
stopped for 5 mintes - of silence. More than half the people got out of
their cars at 12:20 on major super-highways - to stand in silence. Prayers,
candles and meditations for peace are springing up - spontaneously - all
over the place. The silence is awe-inspiring.

 Our words support each other, our actions are critical - but maybe the most
important, difficult thing we can do - indeed know how to do - is to create
an active, positive space for silence - and let go......

A resource - for those who would like a simple meditation for peace, see
www.friendsoftheheart.com  and click on the Meditation for Peace box.

with so much gratitude to you all.........
Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca