Truth, conflict and much besides

David Adams david at adamsassociates.com
Sun Sep 2 16:11:46 PDT 2001

It is amazing to come back from a brief holiday to find an explosion of emails about Truth! What truly wonderful people inhabit this list... We have a dialogue group here in Scotland and one of our recent topics was Conflict. It was fascinating to discover as our dialogue developed that our understanding and embrace of Conflict changed radically in the group.

What initially we approached as an issue associated with stress, disturbance and avoidance, became something deeper and it emerged, grew and finally developed in our appreciation as a valuable and necessary stage in the unfolding of insight and perception and sharing of truth. So we could see that without conflict we would lose a vital window on reality. But only if we went beyond the 'stuck place' of sides in conflict, and could enlarge our vision to consider the totality of what the conflict was about.

This resonated strongly for me with what Krishnamurti used to emphasise, that one must see what is, directly and clearly, without judgement, thought or interpretation. As one sees and feels with clarity and vital, passionate awareness, the distinction between observer and what is observed - the conscious but artificial human duality - is clearly an illusion.  Truth is the reflection - experience - of oneself in the particluar state of attention and observation that is happening. And here one learns. There is something very liberating about this and it seems to resonate beautifully with all that has been said and experienced about letting go in facilitating open space.

Lastly, I cannot resist this line from the letter to Hebrews 13 that was read in church today, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

With great appreciation.

David

David Adams
Adams Associates
Meadowhead, by Cleish, Kinross, UK, KY13 0LP
Tel: 44 (0) 1577 850330
Fax: 44 (0) 1577 850285
Mobile: 0797 1092167
Email: Solutions at adamsassociates.co.uk