Story of a recent 2.5 day OST

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 15:39:35 PDT 2001

Chris and Laurel--

Many big "thank yous"!  For volunteering to bring OSONOS to Vancouver, for
all the preparation and the openhearted way it was organized, for the giving
and sacrifice that that takes, including the gift of standing just enough to
the side that everything else can happen.

I think that the role of sacrifice in this work cannot be taught in training,
for much the same reasons that it is impossible to tell someone who hasn't
been there yet what it will be like to be a parent.

Chris, I have had migraines sometimes while facilitating--usually when there
is more energy in the room than I am capable, at that moment, of taking in.
And I treasure the times I can work with a co-facilitator who can see what I
cannot and will be there when I am not fully present.

Thanks to Chris, Laurel, Gabriel and Michael H for making it possible for
those of us who could not be physically present in the longhouse to have a
sense of participating in some small way.  My computer screen is no
substitute for the faces, voices and hugs of old friends, but it put me in
touch with the conference in a long-distance way.  And that was much
appreciated.

My heavy plaster cast has been traded for a much-lighter plastic cast,
removable so I can wash my feet and wiggle my ankle.  And I do wiggle
it--this is the first step in getting to where I can dance again.  Life goes
on here; I'm another year older and will soon have a new daughter-in-law,
followed in a short while by a new grandson.

Looking forward to Australia--

With love,  Joelle