Moving Open Space without closing it . . .

Erich Kolenaty erich.kolenaty at utanet.at
Fri Oct 5 09:25:49 PDT 2001

Artur,

with all respect, you are a amazing guy. I can hardly read what you are writing all day, where the hell do you take the time and the energy from to write this all?

Only some small comments:

1. I don't think it needs a lot agreements about OS at all. You live Open Space or you leave it, it works and you have fun or you don't.

2. "Whatever happens is the only thing we could have" works unter all conditions. Your responsibility as a professional facilitator is to care for good ones. (Bye the way, that is a point where you need good agreements). This principle helps you to understand not to complain about others, the circumstances, the chances you misses in your life etc. If Open Space would work "like it should" - it would not be OS anymore.

3. "Whenever it starts is the right time". I share your impression that in congresses the schedules are often not respected very well, and at OS-meetings they often are. In my opinion this only shows us the perfect use of the "law of two feet" - if the people know it or not. Sometimes the people are there "in time" bodily, but this does not tell us a lot about the "right time".

4. Some weeks ago I watched a facilitator introducing "rules"!  And I agree with you, if somebody lives the principles as a couple of rules, he is far off from OS. In my opinion they are observations of healthy life and working together and sometimes it helps to be aware of them.

Have a nice weekend Artur, and I am curious of what comes up next.

All the best from lovely Vienna

Erich