Moving Open Space without closing it . . .

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Tue Oct 2 10:29:43 PDT 2001

Barry, thanks for your clarifying words.

The crisis brings up questions about this list that we have not asked
before. We have never in my memory had sustained dialogue about anything
other than OST, except maybe God and poetry.   ;-)

I think we are all invited to play two roles here: facilitators AND
sponsors. As a facilitator I want to hold space, not intervene, maybe ask
if it's over. As a sponsor I want to offer appropriate leadership.

What are skillful ways of leadership, without closing or limiting this
space? (What do I tell a client sponsor about this?) I can invite others
into a new topic. I can tell the story of the list. I can work to clarify
the givens...

I'm fascinated with the notion of closing THIS space, or imposing
limitations. We are never barred from posting anything, unless I steal your
computer or somehow unsubscribe you. We do not have a facilitator or
sponsor/boss who closes the space from a "heavy" role. Or do we?

Like you, I noticed a shift in energy after I posted the following:

"I feel concerned that our listserv may become primarily a place to share
info and opinions about these world events. I fear that would change its
purpose. The tentative "givens" written in the FAQ help me think about
this. I ask that you consider this as you write to the list."

Next time, perhaps I would do nothing. The delete key protects the law of
two feet. Yet what has happened is important too... I have learned a lot in
the last week.

Jeff

-
Jeff Aitken
Berkeley CA USA: (01) 510.540.6576
JA at svn.net

And now, for something COMPLETELY different
(Cleese, et al)