Moving Open Space without closing it . . .

Toni Petrinovich sacred at anacortes.net
Tue Oct 2 16:15:31 PDT 2001

Yes, I too watched with interest to see how this was going to go.  I was/am
one that did not want to close the conversation so long as there was
conversation to be had.

I find that in working with my clients many have a feeling or an inclination
that there is a correct or perfect way to have a conversation and that some
issues have a time limit (hours, minutes, sessions) and that others do not.
I am remembering telling a client that he should talk about work if that was
what was on his mind.  He replied that no one had ever told him it was okay
to talk about work or what was on his mind - that most conversations had
specific topics and timetables and they must be adhered to.

When something is at issue for anyone, no matter what else they may be
talking about, the issue of the moment is what is on the mind.  And so I
was/am feeling that though others might have topics that are different and
some wish to continue the topic of 9/11, there is room for both/all.

This wondering extrapolated to another wondering if it got to be too much
sometimes to be immersed in what others live with in their lives daily -
fear, terrorism, pain/death or whatever words or labels we wish to put on
it.  It is such a grand journey, is it not?

Toni Petrinovich