Fancy or Plain

Don Ferretti dferrett at placer.ca.gov
Thu Nov 15 13:04:59 PST 2001

As Bob Dylan once said, "you say it fancy or you can say it plain". I think self-organization in the context of an "Open Space" is that people will do what matters to them all by themselves in a very organized way, without a lot or any traditional pre-planned or even spontaneous facilitator interventions.  An organization can be  two people.

>>> Tim.Sullivan at gems5.gov.bc.ca 11/15/01 11:55AM >>>
The conundrum of the term "self-organizing" when thinking about
organizations (which are social) is: What is the "self" of an organization
or social phenomenon? That's one idea. Another is: I would say it is the
radical difference between biological organisms and social organizations
that must be considered for a truly explanatory, predictive theory to be
developed; not the similarity between them. Kaufman's simulations of
molecular based processes to model the arising of self-organizing systems
(ie organisms) is useful, but does it capture all the characteristics of
social systems? Again until we consider the radical differences between
organisms and their eco-environments and social organizations and the
meta-systems that constitute their environment, we will not have truly
powerful understanding for organizational change and transformation. I
suggest that because humans have the capacity for self-reflexive
communication, and because social organizations exhibit that same capacity,
reflexivity is an emergent property of social organizations, which manifests
as the tendency for radical transformation. ( e.g Wilber's appropriation of
the meme levels of Spiral Dynamics...evolving memes suggests dynamic
evolution) Something we don't see in biological organisms. Organisms change
structure (form) but the underlying organization is the same eg
DNA-protein-cell membranes etc. Whereas social organizations not only
exhibit different forms, they can exhibit radically differing states of
awareness (meme-levels).

Tim Sullivan