OS for 1,000

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Mar 16 03:47:07 PST 2001

Dear Elena,
I also think it is important for people to gather: 2 or 3 or 80 or
1000 or more. Whether that will promote democracy I do not know and
probably I do not even care. What it will promote when done with open
space technology straight and simple is that people will organize
around what touches them, what they are interested in and what they
will actually do something for. Now this is not just theory but I
experience it when I facilitate gatherings using ost.
What I think very little of is to tell others what they ought to do,
even governments. What I experience, also in the future search I I
was involved in in the inner city neighborhood here in Berlin, is
that people, regardless from what walk of life or institution or
elected body they come from, act differently after the event,
collaberate, listen more carefully, act more on things than expecing
others to act.
Whether to have an os with 1000 or 200 with 5 each or 10 with 100
each is more a strategic question to ponder with the sponsor of the
activity or maybe even a practical question of the spaces available.
Knowing you will have a grand time
hugs
michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Elena A. Marchuk
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:05:49 +0600

Yes, Michael,
I do like your ideas!
The thing that we are going to gather 1,000 event (after we worked
with FSC and it looks like decision from this meeting - that is very
important for publicity and some people) is THAT we NEED to make a
presedent of peple gathering and making decisions as it is a very
unusual thing WHEN PEOPLE are asked in our far from democratic
country....

May be I'm wrong, but I feel like we need to learn how to say some
words to our governments.

Thank you for you help

Elena