OS for 1,000

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Thu Mar 15 10:44:39 PST 2001

Dear Elena,
about almost a year ago Felicia and I were asked to do a large, maybe
500 or 800 people event for one of the state churches to involve
people from their 2000 parishes. After a while we arrived at a point
with them where it was felt that a number of regional events of
perhaps 200 people would be right. We are now meeting in the regions
and have things set up for 4 open space events in early and late fall
with follow up meetings in the winter.
This came to my mind when you talked about the 1000 in your city
project.
Another thing that came to my mind was the future search for an inner
city neighborhood of about 20 000 people in east Berlin (you can see
some material on my website).
In both cases I feel that the regional, or neighborhood context has
had and will have great value. It is a level at which people can
pretty naturally meet even after the event and develope more
sustainable social, cultural, economic and neighborhood ties.
In the case of the 4 regional open space events in the state church
there is also some thinking of perhaps tying things together after
the 4 events occured to come up with state church-wide projects,
goals, etc.
Good luck with your grand event
michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Elena A. Marchuk
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:12:55 +0600

Dear collegues!

I forgot to mention that after such a nice experience in Rubtsovsk
with FSC and OS "Rubtsovsk in 2005: Search for Future and strategies
for development" on the 10-12 of March, there is an idea to organize
an Open Forum for 1,000 citizens of Rubtsovsk, as they really want to
find out what they can do for the city and how can they organize
their life and to find out how to plan their future and make
decisions.

There was one idea to organize a meeting on the stadium, really Open
Space, which we can call FORUM in Russia. Is there any ideas which
worked nice with 1,000? and what is needed for this?

I actually was excited with that we are thinking of gathering such a
city Forum, but/and if I think of such a crowd of people - I can not
imagine it.

Best wishes to you
looking forward to hearing from your experience.

Elena Marchuk
Novosibirsk, Russia