open space-wedding

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 7 11:56:19 PST 2001

At 06:42 PM 3/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>many of you probably have had requests to arrange a wedding in open
>space. Seems to me there were even reports on the listserve of such
>events (did not you, Birgitt Williams, once write about this?).
>Now I was approached and feel quite honored and willing and
>interested at the same time needing to lean on all of you with
>experience in such an endeavour. What needs to be observed? I mean
>are even the 4 conditions for open space active? It is a complex
>situation, granted, the wedding party will be diverse, conflict is
>sure to arise if not now then in the future but is it an open
>question?

Welcome to the elite corps of those who have tied the matrimonial knot in
Open Space. Please be advised that all principles pertain -- even the Law
of Two Feet. It has occurred that one or both parties takes a walk prior
to, or during the festivities. And for sure there is lots of passion,
hopefully balanced by some degree of responsibility. When all is said and
done -- A wedding in Open Space is just life. But what else would you expect.

In a slightly more serious vein, when privileged with a similar situation,
my first effort is to deal with the givens --  What are the minimal
elements required by the law to effectively bind the two. In the USA, the
deed is done legally when three things take place. 1) The couple is queried
about their intent ("Will you take this man to be your lawfully wedded
husband?) 2) Their response must be witnessed by the crowd -- which means
the couple has to speak up loudly. 3) The officiant must pronounce the
doneness of the deal ("I now pronounce you man and wife.") -- All the rest
is pretty much Open Space.

In my experience, filling that space with joyful celebration, deep meaning,
and not a few tears is -- generally speaking a no-brainer. Just happens.
And as always, the more you pre-fill the space with plans and activities
the less room you have to really let go. So it is a balance, and from my
experience, less is more.

Have fun -- I certainly have.

(The Reverend) Harrison Owen

Harrison Owen