open space-wedding

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Wed Mar 7 15:19:25 PST 2001

Michael

Your request evoked wonderful memories. My wife Carmen and I were married in
Open Space on Valentine's Day 1999.

The setting was a community center where we were members of a community
choir. Friends helped make the decorations and arranged them beautifully on
the day.

The 'official' ceremony, conducted by a celebrant, was held within a circle
with the guests - about 100 - sitting concentrically.

Prior to our arrival a person experienced in OS T facilitation had outlined
the Open
Space process with which the whole event would unfold. The principles of OST
were
prominently displayed.

She invited the guests to contribute as they wished, to mix freely and to
interact with strangers.

Imagine our delight in coming into the hall and stepping straight into the
circle, from where we could see all of our friends easily - and they us.
Older people were seated in the front.

What happened with the celebrant was, naturally, not spontaneous! There were
legal formalities to be observed. And there were several friends who
contributed, by arrangement,
a blessing or a poem, during the ceremony. Nonetheless a couple of people
made impromptu offerings.

At the end of the official component guests were invited to partake from a
sumptuous array of finger foods and drinks and to mingle as they chose.

Then many people stepped into the circle to congratulate us.

Our choir sang during the ceremony and again while we were signing the
registry book.

After a while there was the cutting of the cake and speeches from two
friends, as well as from Carmen and me.

Then everyone was invited to form one large circle to relate briefly their
experience of the whole event.

After which there was dancing.

Two salient comments from guests:

. "I have been to many weddings; this was the first at which I felt totally
present."

. "Not only have I never experienced a wedding like this, I did not know it
was possible."

A logistical  point: The whole event was captured on webcam and relayed on
the internet to friends all over our little planet.

And a conclusion from the bride and groom. "Very enjoyable and highly
memorable. Let's do it again - with each other!"

Alan and Carmen Stewart
Adelaide

PS Michael, if you wish I can send photos as jpegs to help you to visualize
the proceedings

* PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS *

Alan Stewart, PhD
Professional Conversationalist
Principal, Multimind Solutions

Tel (61 8) 8370 0592 Fax (61 8) 8370 0593
PO Box 6250, Halifax St, Adelaide SA 5000 Australia
alan.stewart at senet.com.au