Evening OS

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 22 05:36:36 PDT 2001

At 09:41 AM 6/22/01 +0200, Gyuri wrote:
>Up till this point I don't think the OS could be much help.
>
>BUT: There are the evenings, where we have to create some combination of
>learning, having formal and informal discussion and make fun. And here I
>think, the OST could be a method.

Several years ago, a major national organization in the United States was
having its annual convention. The issues were very hot and contentions, and
some people were pretty sure the organization would not survive, at least
in any meaningful fashion. Actually the convention was sort of do or die
thing -- and folks were really into giving it their best. However it was
also a very old and conservative organization so their method of procedure
was lots of presented papers from all the people who had created the mess
in the beginning, followed by a brief discussion from those who had the
status to discus... At least that was the proposed design, and who would
think of doing anything else. After all that is what we have done for
hundreds of years.

And then somebody recognized -- "we have the evenings"  -- and space was
opened every night. I didn't do it, and when asked about the possibility of
success, I was pretty negative. But I was profoundly wrong. Every evening
1200-1500 folks had the opportunity to sort through all the stuff of the
day... Some say those evenings made the difference... Who knows. But
anyhow, I would give it a go. What have you got to lose? Just be prepared
for the fact that everybody might rather go to the bar. A different kind of
Open Space. But there is usually plenty of spirit of all sorts.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA