Evening OS

kenoli Oleari kenoli at igc.org
Fri Jun 22 08:26:37 PDT 2001

>The objective is to give over some KNOWLEDGE about the European Union and
>use this topic as a political communication practice field.
>
>My expected role is to handle the group dynamics and create situations where
>they can practice their communication skills.

>Up till this point I don't think the OS could be much help.
>
>BUT: There are the evenings, where we have to create some combination of
>learning, having formal and informal discussion and make fun. And here I
>think, the OST could be a method.

What this and Harrison's story reminds me of is the origin of the
t-group process.  What actually happened (or so the story goes) is
that NTL was holding some trainings during the day and the staff was
meeting at night.  The members of the training group asked to attend
and what the session developed into was an open and honest dialog on
what had happened during the day. The process was so rich that people
looked at what was happening and realized the power in being able to
have a forum that encouraged talking about the quality of each
persons immediate experience.  This developed into the t-group
process.

I am thinking that what you might do is to host an evening open space
and frame it around talking about what the experience of the day has
been like.  Encourage openness and honestly and the use of the
communication skills you have introduced people to.

I think you might discover that the session could develop into a
powerful experience.

I only wish the possibility for something like this existed in our
American political parties.  (Encourage them to stand their ground
against our nebish of a president.  He does not represent the desires
of the large majority of the people of this country.  they'll be
doing us a favor.)

Kenoli Oleari

--
Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,