Unusual design for OST event

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 14 04:20:31 PDT 2001

Hello All

I support this comment.
I've been doing a fair bit of work lately with a large Canadian Bank, groups
of 10 - 40, doing "planning" or business meeting sessions. They are very
receptive to the idea of "empowering and involviing" their people, but also
want some business  as usual.

I make a clear separation between the two. Day one can be traditional
business update presentations, or guided facilitation (altho here I usually
try to throw in a number of provocative statements that set a different
tone). This often provides people the basis of information they need to do
their "planning" (altho they would have got that in OS anyway!) The last
group of managers did an evening of poetry creation; "I laughed till I
cried!"- involved a whole other aspect of their being. I also try to ensure
that they agree NOT to multi-task - i.e. no e-mail during the meeting, turn
off the cell phone.  ANd we build toward the OS day, e.g. "all these ideas/
potential solutions that you have been discussing can be input to our (OS)
day.

Then the OS day looks and feels different. Chairs in a circle. Funny
hand-written butterflies on the wall. Tibetan bells. A letting go of
facilitator control. Works like a charm!!

I would love to do longer than one day, but so far my experience (or is it
just my projections/ confidence) that when this approach is couched in their
language, it is better received. AND it provides a tremendous uplift to the
people, spreads all kinds of good energy, and provides tremendous momentum
in achieving business results. ("We accomplished more in one hour than we
have in the last 6 months.")

My thoughts for the moment...........

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting